Thursday 29 March 2007

Mountain Climbing Concept of Building a Strong and Productive Workplace



I had a new inspiration for building the team, thanks to the book "First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently".

Barely, finishing the first chapters, I am already putting this to use and feeling I can really make a difference and improve the team morale and productivities.

The greatest assets to any company is the people. So , building a strong team is the key to make the company successful.


Amazingly, there is excerpt of the book on the first chapter. So, you will get want I mean.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Break-All-Rules-Differently/dp/product-description/0684852861
http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=HARDCOVER:USED:9780684852867:21.00&page=excerpt#page


I like the mountain climbing concept as described in the book. It makes it so simple . Yes! We should focus to improving ourselves on the base camp and Camp 1 first. Do not talk about the mission, understanding company objectivies, those high level things if the base camp is not strong.


Here are the 6 questions survey I sent to my team (Rating: 1 : Strongly disagree, 5- Strongly agree):

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?
4 In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?

Recently, I received a resignation from one of my direct. Before she is leaving , I ask her to fill in the survey for me also. Guess what I get from the questions 1 & 2? 1 ! However, I did get 4 to 5 for most questions from 3 to 6.

It is so true that if the basecamp (especially this) and camp 1 is not taken care of, people will leave, even though you have strong mission statement and company strategy and objectives.



No comments:

My review and reflection for The Garden of Words

I just watched this short animation work from Makoto Shinkai. I had previously watched his grand hit 'Your Name' and absolutely fel...